David L. Ginsberg EMAIL ME HERE
Fairfax Divorce Lawyer
When you are looking for someone to help you navigate through a very difficult time in your life, and to help you move forward in a positive way, you can turn to me. I strive to make the legal, emotional, and financial aspects of this process as painless as possible. My entire legal practice is dedicated to helping clients address family law issues involving: divorce, support, property division, negotiated settlements, mediation, prenuptial agreements, appeals, custody, child support, and parenting.
Although I am comfortable in the courtroom and recognize that sometimes litigation is a necessity, my preference is to work with clients whose goal is to resolve the issues arising in their case through settlement. I often settle cases directly with the other party’s attorney through negotiation, but I also work with many clients who participate in mediation, collaborative process, and arbitration. I am trained as a collaborative attorney, and I appreciate the benefits of working with a professional team trained to address all of the legal, emotional, and financial issues that may arise.
I enjoy working on cases that involve complex financial issues. I have an extensive background in financial issues that began with my undergraduate degree from the McIntire School of Commerce at the University of Virginia, and continued with courses and research throughout my career. I have handled a number of cases that involved closely held businesses, high-income earners, complex compensation and retirement packages, tracing separate and premarital property, and exotic financial instruments and securities.
My calm and steady demeanor combined with my extensive knowledge of the divorce process will help reduce your anxiety about your divorce. My clients are comforted by the fact that they feel fully educated about the legal process and issues in their case, and this comfort level enables them to make solid decisions about their future. I will take the time to explain how the legal process works, what options are available to you, and the pros and cons of each option. Through my experiences as a family law attorney and my ties to Northern Virginia, I have developed many contacts and resources to assist you legally, emotionally, or financially, whether as part of your case or in life in general.
I earned my law degree from the George Mason School of Law in 1996. I have practiced family law throughout my legal career, but have been handling family law cases exclusively since 1998. My colleagues and I opened Cooper Ginsberg Gray, PLLC in November 2004 with the goal of providing high-quality, effective, dedicated, and cost-effective representation to individuals going through family turmoil.
I have been honored to be named in the Washingtonian Magazine and Northern Virginia Magazine as one of the area’s top divorce lawyers on multiple occasions, and I have been included in The Best Lawyers in America. I was awarded the Fairfax Bar Association’s President’s Award. I earned an AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale Hubbell, a leading site rating legal professionals. I returned to my alma mater, George Mason School of Law, as an adjunct professor. I previously served as President of the George Mason Law Alumni Association Board, and as a board member of the Fairfax Law Foundation. I am an active member of the Virginia State Bar, Fairfax Bar Association, and the American Bar Association.
For 16 years, I have organized the annual Chipping in to End Domestic Violence Charity Golf Tournament. Through the tournament we have raised awareness of the domestic violence issues that our community faces and raised more than $350,000 for the abused women and children at the Artemis House.
I have lived in Northern Virginia for many years, and consider it my home. I enjoy coaching my daughters’ youth basketball teams, and am an avid photographer.
If you would like to schedule a consultation appointment with me, please call our office at (703) 934-1480 or complete our initial consultation form. I look forward to meeting with you.
- George Mason University School of Law, Juris Doctor 1996
- University of Virginia, Bachelor of Science in Commerce (Finance and Marketing), 1992
- Adjunct Professor at George Mason University School of Law, 2012 to present
- Law School Professionalism Faculty, 2015 to present
- Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Faculty Member, 2012-2015
- Fairfax Law Foundation Board of Directors, 2007-2015
- Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia, 2009 to present
- Virginia Collaborative Professionals, 2009 to present
- International Academy of Collaborative Professionals, 2009 to present
- Fairfax Bar Association, 1998 to present
- Former Chair of Continuing Legal Education Committee
- Former Member of Circuit Court Committee
- Virginia State Bar, 1996 to present
- George Mason School of Law Alumni Board, Former President, 2009-2011
- AV Preeminent Rating from Martindale-Hubbell
- Listed in Best Lawyers in America
- Recognized multiple times in Northern Virginia Magazine and Washingtonian Magazine as one of the DC Metro Area’s top family law attorneys
- Fairfax Law Foundation Humanitarian of the Year Award, 2014
- Fairfax Bar Association, President’s Award, 2009
- Shelter House, Board Member, 2016 to present
SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS/PUBLISHED WORKS
- Spousal Support and Spousal Support Update CLE, Virginia State Bar, 2013 and 2015
- UFISA, CHILD and SPOUSAL SUPPORT CLE, Fairfax Bar Association, 2015
- Collaborative Law: What Every Practitioner Should Know, Virginia Law Quarterly Spring 2014
- Second Saturday, Brilliant Exits, 2009 to present
- Tracing CLE, Fairfax Bar Association, 2005
- Separation (Property Settlement) Agreements When is a Deal a Deal in a Divorce Case?
- And Was Not a Gift