Daniel L. Gray EMAIL ME HERE
Fairfax Family Law Attorney
For nearly two decades, I have represented clients in Northern Virginia who need family law assistance. My goal has always been to provide vigorous, honest, and thorough representation. Each day, I am honored to work with my clients as I strive toward that goal.
My two founding partners and I started this firm in November 2004 with the goal of becoming the best family law partnership in Virginia. Since that time we have grown to a firm of nine attorneys from various backgrounds. We are a full-service team ready to handle virtually any Virginia family law issue.
I pride myself on being a client-first attorney. I am a good listener and communicator. I am easy to reach and I do not keep clients waiting. Your calls and e-mails are promptly returned. I do not get rattled and I do not get frustrated, no matter the facts of your case or who else is involved. I enjoy what I do and I look forward to finding the best solution for your case.
While family law issues can seem overwhelming, I take a common sense and practical approach to my cases. I am able to take complex and emotional issues and offer solutions in a straightforward, easy-to-understand way so you can make important decisions promptly and correctly.
I always try to resolve my cases through negotiation and compromise, but I also know that certain cases must be litigated. If your case has to go to a judge, I will present it with confidence and authority. I have litigated issues ranging from complex asset and debt distribution, to calculation of income for support cases, to matters involving closely held corporations and other business entities. I have also routinely drafted prenuptial and post-nuptial agreements for my clients.
I was born and raised here in Northern Virginia, and have been a Virginia resident my entire life. I clerked for a Fairfax Circuit County Court trial court judge after graduating from the George Mason School of Law. This experience has provided me a unique insight into how judges think. During my nearly 20-year career, I have routinely appeared in that court and those of the surrounding counties of Northern Virginia, including Arlington, Alexandria, Prince William, and Loudoun.
I have dedicated much of my professional life to improving the practice of family law, and I am a proud member of the Virginia Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, where I serve as Secretary and Treasurer. I am incoming Chairman of the Virginia State Bar’s Family Law Section Board of Governors, and I served as Chairman of the Fairfax County Bar Association’s Family Law Section for many years before retiring from that role in 2015. I often lecture and teach other family law attorneys and paralegals on family law topics, ethics, and evidence.
I also realize the importance of community activism. I try to give back to my community as often as I can, and I am currently the Chairman of the Board of Pathway Homes, Inc., a Fairfax non-profit that provides non-time limited housing and services for Virginians with mental illness.
If you would like to schedule a consultation appointment with me, please call our office at (703) 934-1480 or complete our initial consultation form. I look forward to meeting with you.
- Cooper Ginsberg Gray, PLLC, Fairfax, Founding Partner (2004 – present)
- Shoun, Bach & Walinsky, PC, Fairfax, Associate Attorney, (2000 – 2002)
- Feldesman Tucker, Leifer, Fidell & Bank, Washington, DC, Associate Attorney, (1997 – 2000)
- Fairfax County Circuit Court, Fairfax, Law Clerk (1996 – 1997)
- George Mason University School of Law (JD, 1996)
- University of Virginia (BA, 1993)
- Virginia (1996)
- Maryland (1998)
- District of Columbia (1998)
Virginia State Bar
Family Law Section Board of Governors (Chairman, 2016)
Young Lawyers Conference (President, 2007)
Harry L. Carrico Professionalism Course Faculty
Law School Professionalism Course Faculty
Fee Dispute Arbitration Committee
Fairfax Bar Association
Family Law Section (Chairman, 2006 – 2015)
American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
Virginia Chapter (Secretary/Treasurer 2015 – present)
Virginia Family Law Coalition (VSB Representative)
Virginia Bar Association
Maryland Bar Association
Montgomery County Bar Association
District of Columbia Bar Association
- Virginia State Bar Annual Family Law Seminar, Direct Examination of Witnesses, Richmond, April 2016.
- Fairfax Bar Association, Fault, Factors and Fees, Fairfax, March 2016.
- Virginia CLE 34th Annual Family Law Seminar, Social Media and Electronic Evidence in Family Law Cases: How to Use It, Fairfax, Richmond, Roanoke, October 2015.
- Paralegal Association of Northern Virginia, The New VADER: A User’s Guide, Fairfax, May 2015.
- Attorneys Liability Protection Society, Is Fault Dead? The Impact of Fault in Equitable Distribution and Spousal Support Cases, Fairfax, May 2015.
- VSB Law School Professionalism Course, Professionalism and Client Relations, University of Richmond (January 2015, 2016)
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association, Annual Divorce Practice Seminar: The New VADER: A User’s Guide: Solving child support problems and complex equitable distribution cases with Virginia’s premier divorce software, January 2015.
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Ethics in Family Law Around the Beltway, October 2013, December 2014.
- Virginia CLE: Negotiating, Drafting, Attacking and Defending Marital Agreements, October 2014.
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Judges are from Mars, and Family Law Attorneys are from Venus, October 2014.
- Montgomery County Bar Association, Annual Meeting, Jurisdictional Comparison of Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia, April 2014.
- Fairfax County Bar Association, Business Valuations, Fairfax, March 2014.
- Virginia CLE, Family Law Finances ( 2010).
- Paralegal Association of Northern Virginia, Solving Difficult Domestic Relations Problems Using the VADER Software, 2010 – 2013.
- Good Samaritan Advocates, Family Law 101 Pro Bono Training, Fairfax, June 2013.
- Virginia State Bar, Family Law Section, Ethics and Professionalism, October 2013.
- Fairfax Bar Association, Young Lawyers Conference, Depositions, June 2013.
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Family Law Around the Beltway: Jurisdictional Comparisons, District of Columbia, 2013 – 2015.
- District of Columbia Bar Association, Premarital Agreements in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and Virginia, District of Columbia, 2013 – 2015.
- Potomac Legal Aid Society, Child Custody in Traditional and Non-Traditional Families, 2009.
- Pathway Homes, Fairfax, Chairman of the Board, 2013 – present
- Northern Virginia Mental Health Institute Citizen’s Advisory Council, President, 2011-2014
- Annandale North Springfield Little League, AAA Commissioner, 2014
Reported Cases and Articles
- Bostic et. al v. Schaefer, 760 F.3d 352 (4th Cir. 2014) (on brief amicus curiae).
- Advising Clients Under the New Virginia Child Support Guidelines, Virginia Family Law Quarterly, Spring 2014