Stephanie J. Smith EMAIL ME HERE
Fairfax Family Law Attorney
I graduated from law school and began working as an attorney with Cooper Ginsberg Gray in 2008. Since that time, my practice has focused exclusively on family law matters. This includes divorce; property division; custody, visitation, and support matters; post-divorce modification and enforcement matters; protective orders; and uncontested adoptions. I am certified to serve as a Guardian ad litem for children and trained in collaborative divorce.
Although a challenging and often emotionally charged area of law, the family law practice is incredibly rewarding. I appreciate and take seriously my role in helping clients navigate through what is often one of the most difficult experiences of their lives. I am a parent myself and have a very large, diverse extended family, making it possible for me to empathize and relate to the challenges families face.
My own experiences help me to be a dedicated and committed advocate for each of my clients. I take pride in establishing an open and trusting attorney-client relationship to ensure an honest and realistic dialogue about all issues. If possible, I strive to reach reasonable out of court settlements and avoid protracted, costly litigation. When settlement is inappropriate or impossible, I will rely on my considerable courtroom experience to zealously advocate for my clients’ interests in court.
Our entire firm has an unwavering commitment to service, ethics, professionalism and the integrity of this practice. I currently serve as an attorney member of a Disciplinary Committee of the Virginia State Bar and I have spoken on topics relating to professionalism and ethics. Outside of the office, I give back to the community by volunteering to speak to support groups for individuals who are dealing with domestic relations issues. I also volunteer for various pro bono projects, including “No Bills Night” and "Attorney of the Day" program to assist victims of domestic violence. I also have the opportunity to assist with Special Immigration Juvenile Status cases on a pro bono basis.
If you would like to schedule a consultation appointment with me, please call our office at (703) 934-1480 or complete our initial consultation form. I look forward to meeting with you.
- Juris Doctor Degree, George Mason University School of Law, 2008
- Bachelor of Arts Degree, summa cum laude with University Honors, American University, 2004
- Virginia State Bar
- 5th District Disciplinary Committee (2014 - present)
- District of Columbia Bar
- Family Law Section Member
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Juvenile and Domestic Relations Committee Member
- Family Law Section Member
- Collaborative Professionals of Northern Virginia
- Virginia State Bar’s Young Lawyers Conference
- Virginia Collaborative Professionals
- International Collaborative Professionals
- Bostic et. al v. Schaefer, 760 F.3d 352 (4th Cir. 2014) (on brief amicus curiae).
- Tackling and Winning the Hard Issues in Equitable Distribution and Spousal Support, ALPS Virginia, May 2015
- UFISA, CHILD and SPOUSAL SUPPORT CLE, Fairfax Bar Association, May 2015
- Listed in Virginia Super Lawyers Magazine, 2014 - present