Kristen L. Kugel EMAIL ME HERE
Fairfax Family Law Attorney
The focus of my practice has always been family law and I pride myself in being able to assist clients during one of the most difficult and emotional times in their lives. My goal is to provide clients zealous representation along with guidance through a challenging time. I handle all family law matters including: divorce, property division, support, custody and visitation matters, protective order hearings, and post-divorce modification issues.
Regardless of the specific issues, my goal is to ensure my clients know all the options available to them. I make sure they understand how the legal system works to resolve their issues. I take pride in helping my clients think through their options and consider how their decisions will impact them and their families both now and in the future.
It is generally in my clients’ best interest to resolve issues outside of court because they have more control over the outcome. However, I realize some cases must be litigated and I frequently appear before judges in counties throughout Northern Virginia in hearings and at trial. That experience gives me the confidence and expertise I need to press my clients’ positions in court when it is necessary. My background in oral advocacy programs and my time spent working for two different judges in two separate trial courts also provides me with a unique understanding of judges’ perspective from the bench.
Born and raised in Rochester, New York, I have called Northern Virginia my home since 2009. I believe it is important to give back to the legal community in this area, and I contribute my free time to programs that helped shape my legal career. For the past four years, I have coached trial advocacy teams, which involves teaching law school students the fundamentals of being more effective in trial proceedings. Recently, the trial advocacy team I coached at George Mason University School of Law advanced to the semi-finals of the 2016 Washington D.C. regional Student Trial Advocacy Competition. Another team I coached the previous year won the same regional competition and went on to place second at the national competition.
If you would like to schedule a consultation appointment with me, please call our office at (703) 934-1480 or complete our initial consultation form. I look forward to meeting with you.
- Associate, Cooper Ginsberg Gray, PLLC, Fairfax (2012 – present)
- Legal Intern, The Honorable Judith N. Macaluso, Superior Court of the District of Columbia (2011)
- Legal Intern, The Honorable Jonathan C. Thacher (Ret.), Fairfax County Circuit Court (2010)
- George Mason University School of Law (J.D., 2012)
- Chief Justice, Moot Court Board
- Moot Court Board Nationals Team
- Recipient of the Curran and Whittington Scholarship in Trial Advocacy
- State University of New York at Geneseo (B.A. Political Science, 2009)
- Magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Virginia State Bar
- Fairfax Bar Association
- Virginia Trial Lawyers Association
- Bostic et. al v. Schaefer, 760 F.3d 352 (4th Cir. 2014) (on brief amicus curiae)
- Coach, Trial Advocacy Association, Extramural Teams, George Mason University School of Law (2012-Present).